Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Getting set up

So I decided to start a blog primarily about a hobby that I just recently came back to: Warhammer 40K.

Just a bit of background, I started playing this around 2nd and 3rd edition. It's hard to remember exactly, I know the years but haven't been able to sort the specifics. I remember playing in '98 through '02. Back then I was playing Dark Angels. I still love the lore behind them. My brother Ricky was playing Chaos Space Marines. I remember at the time the codex for Dark Angels was much better than the one for his Chaos Space Marines. His was confusing and generally didn't have much to it.



I remember the 3rd edition codex for Chaos Space Marines, and the 3.5 edition coming out not too long after. I remember this because the 3.5 edition was so full of fluff oriented rules that I thought it was outstanding. I was even a bit jealous!

Not long after however real life got the better of me. I had become short on cash, had recently lost my job and so I sold all of my stuff for far less than what it was worth. I am not sure what happened to my brother's Chaos miniatures. I'm sure they either got tossed, or perhaps are sitting in a long forgotten box somewhere in one of our relatives homes. Who knows?

In any event, come 2011 and my buddy Will Luongo begins talking to me about the game. I believe he had gotten into it at a young age, but just seriously started getting into it a few years back. His excitement over it really sparked my interest again and since I am in a much better place now than when I gave the hobby up so many years agao, I decided it's time to have a go at it again. So I did what I always do and jumped in feet first.

I was extremely surprised at how much has changed! The first codex I decided to pick up was the Chaos Codex. I realized it had been written for 4th edition and hadn't had an update in quite some time (other than the FAQ/Errata published by GW) and was a bit dissapointed that the fluffiness had been removed from the rules. Contrary to the opinions of many people I had spoken with though, I thought the rules where balanced for the most part (lash spam looked a bit outrageous and I had read about it being so online) and where the fluffiness was gone, you could still pretty much build the list you wanted.

I started collecting my army, and since then I have gotten my oldest son playing, as well as my daughter. My youngest son is only 5 so it may be a bit before I can get him into the game, and I secretly harbor plans to attempt to get my wife involved in it as well. She's a pretty open minded sort, and while I don't think she will ever be as excited as I am over miniature war gaming, she is very artistic and I think would enjoy the assembling/customizing/painting aspect of the hobby a lot.

I love the new Chaos Codex that just recently dropped. It added some of the fluffiness back with the rules regarding HQs making certain Elites troop choices. The only complaint I have, is the removal of generic daemon weapons, but I can certainly live with it as the current choices for daemon weapons are excellent.

I've come up with my own fallen chapter of space marines that I am currently fleshing out fluff wise (yeah I am a fluff fanatic), and am gleefully customizing all of my miniatures to fit with the theme. I'll save that for another post though.

In any case, here's my blog, and this is my first post. I need to get this thing customized a bit more though. How does it look so far? Any design experts out there that want to give me some opinions/suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back Jared from a fellow Michigan Wargamer! I think the blog looks great so far. Keep up the good work as you get back into the hobby. Blogging is a great way to stay motivated. Also, consider joining the DFG blog network. I love to help out fellow michiganders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Old School!

      Thanks for the warm welcome back. I have quite often lurked on many of the blogs you post/comment on. I had no clue you where from Michigan as well! Great news! Hopefully we can get together and play a game of 40K together.

      Hopefully I'll be around quite a bit. I'd love to join the DFG network! Where do I sign up?

      Delete

Comments are always welcome, but please keep them constructive. :)