Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Hanging on to the past

I made an interesting discovery recently in regards to the way people sometimes overlay previous rules over the top of new rules. I say it is interesting simply because we as humans dislike change in general. From what I can tell, people don't even realize they are doing it. Now this post isn't about the psychology behind why someone would subconsciously reject change, but instead a way to bring a couple of issues I have noticed to the community, and possibly a means to beg for your interpretation of those rules and the way you think they should work.

Update to the below post: If you read the comments below you will find that Mordian7th did in fact point me to a section in the rules that clearly states that you cannot fire at a unit that is locked in close combat. Thanks for the clarification Mordian7th!

As an example I'd like to use the most abused "old rule" I have seen make it to the new edition. We all know that for a long time the ruling on being in close combat was that you could not fire on models locked in close combat. Now I see it referred to all the time on the web and I have had people personally discuss this rule with me when talking about tactics. I have to point out every time I see it however, the new rules say nothing about the fact! Give the new rules about ranged combat another careful read. Pay attention to the sections discussing who can fire and who can be fired on.

Now I am not infallible by any means, but I've been over the rules time and time again. I am unable to find any reference to a rule stating that models locked in close combat can not be fired upon. Anybody who has played this game for any length of time knows that this changes things drastically. In the past you could use engaging an opponent in close combat as a tactic in order to prevent being fired at. However it doesn't seem this is the case anymore?

Further, there are rules now regarding cover (in the ranged rules section specifically under the rules for cover) that refer to models from separate units providing cover for models whether they are friendly or not. Now I know this rule applies to any model regardless of the range between you and your target, but since it doesn't state otherwise, my interpretation (when read as written mind you) is that models locked in close combat now simply provide cover for other models locked in close combat.

I am more than willing to provide page numbers and direct quotes from the rule book, but I'd like to see if others get the same interpretation with just the notion pointed out to them. So here's a challenge: Try to see if you can find any reference in the new 6th edition rules stating that you cannot fire upon any unit locked in close combat. I'm willing to bet that, like myself, you won't be able to find one.

Of course, I'm not discussing template weapons. There are special rules for what your template can and cannot sit over when using a template weapon, and sometimes those are on a per weapon or ability basis (psychic powers comes to mind).

So in summary. From what I can tell, if your models are locked in close combat they cannot use their ranged weaponry to fire on any other model/unit. However the same does not hold true in reverse. If your unit is locked in close combat it is no longer the case that you cannot be target by ranged combat.

So how many people assumed that this was the case? Have you been playing with old rules overlapping the new? I have discovered there are other rules, where people had made assumptions as to the way things worked (charging is a big one) but I would like to end this post with a suggestion.

Try forgetting everything you know about the past editions of the 40K rules. Instead read each section, and instead of looking for the new bits, act like you are reading the rules for a brand new game. I think you will be surprised as to what you discover!

2 comments:

  1. I did a read through of the rules again, and it seems that on page 28 on the lower right hand corner (last paragraph/section) it states that models locked in close combat may not shoot (which you mention), but also other models may not fire on units that are locked on close combat. It also mentions in that section that from a fluff perspective units would not obey orders to fire into melee for fear of hitting their own units.

    I'm not totally happy with how some of the rules in the 6th ed rulebook are scattered about - this being a perfect example of it causing potential confusion...

    I hear ya about multiple edition's rules bleeding together in our heads. I've been playing for many many editions like you, and I'm constantly having to re-read the rules to keep myself straight on how things work in the current edition.

    In any case, keep up the great work - looking forward to seeing some of your chaos marines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I totally missed that. I guess I tbought rules about what you could and couldn't do in the shooting phase would be addressed in the section titled Shooting Phase and not in the section titled Assualt Phase. Haha

      Just goes to show that it's always a good thing to make sure you are ready to be proven wrong though. The charge complaint still stands though. I still catch people trying to charge the full 12 inches without rolling, or they roll and try to move their unit even though the charge didn't reach the other unit.

      In any case, thank you for pointing this out to me Mordian7th! I will post an update at the top here pointing out that I was wrong about firing into combat!

      Delete

Comments are always welcome, but please keep them constructive. :)