Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

December and a smushed thumb...

So it's already December and I haven't even begun to post anything as interesting as I would like to yet on this blog. I was actually planning on helping my Daughter Nevaeh and my son Vincent paint up some of their miniatures today. Unfortunately fate had other plans in store for me.

Saturday evening my daughter had requested that we paint some of her miniatures. It's been a while since I had done any work on my own and her Dark Eldar Wyches have sat unpainted for some time. So I decided it was probably a good idea to start work on them and maybe take some pictures along the way in order to practice some of the techniques I've been working on. My oldest son has also had some Bloodthirsters that have been sitting primed and lonely on the shelf. I also got him a Daemon Prince which we have yet to assemble.

I steadfastly made up my mind that it was a great idea and that we should begin work on it tomorrow. The next morning after waking up and fetching breakfast for myself and my wife, I noticed that my wife had begun sorting laundry and had finished placing the darks in the hamper. She had wandered away to take care of something else, so being the nice guy I am, I decided to go ahead and throw the darks in the washer for her. Let me state now that it's true that no good dead goes unpunished. In the process of shutting the washer door I managed to pinch the very tip of my thumb firmly in between the door and the washer.

Yes it was extremely painful. Yes I immediately began to yell obscenities and then proceeded to sit on the floor cradling my poor mushed thumb. I'm pretty sure I broke the tip. Just the tip! (That's an Archer reference for my friend Severin right there)

It hurt in a fashion I've only felt on a few occasions, most of those from my time in the military. It still hurts hours later and I'm pretty sure it's fractured. A fractured thumb tip. Thankfully it's my left hand and I am right handed. Unfortunately it still makes doing anything that requires two hands and both opposable thumbs a huge pain in the rear.

I haven't gone to the hospital, mainly because I hate hospitals and I hate emergency rooms. I'm also pretty stubborn and for the most part I tend my own wounds. I got pretty good at it during my tour in the Marine Corps. (Semper Fi to any devils out there by the way)

So as you can imagine, I ended up with a sore thumb and some dissapointed kids. I also can't believe it's already December. Where the hell did this year go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome, but please keep them constructive. :)