Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

3D Printing. The future of miniature gaming?

Quite some time ago my friend Adam Elkins introduced me to the world of 3D printing. I found the concept fascinating, and the idea of printers that can self-replicate is interesting as well.

Now I don't assume that I am the first person to have this idea. In fact I know I'm not, but using a 3D printer to make your own custom bits in order to further individualize your army. The other cool thing about this idea is sharing your concepts and 3D models with other miniature war game players.

I've got some experience with 3D modeling so this kind of stuff is right up my alley. I have begun working on my own custom mechanical claw to attach to my Chaos Terminators. Mainly because there aren't any in the Chaos Terminators kit, and I really don't feel like paying 12 dollars + shipping for a set of Chaos Lord Terminator claws for each of my termies. I'll post some screenshots when I get the model further along. I also plan on doing my own custom Terminator "Chainsaw Gauntlets".

At some point I will go over my 3D modeling process and include the software I use in my tool chain.

I have some additional clever ideas that I will follow up on this at some point.

One thing I would like to include here is a link to shapeways where you can upload your custom 3D models and purchase prints of those models. It's also a great way to share your ideas and creations. I would like to stress avoiding treading on another companies copyright though. While imitation is often the highest form of flattery, straight copying someone else's work, even just parts of someone else's work is wrong. That hurts those artists, companies and the community as a whole. That's not cool! Instead I encourage people to get creative and expand options available. Nothing wrong with healthy competition as long as your product is just similar and not a duplicate!

So what are other people's thoughts. Anyone have any experience with printing custom bits in 3D? If so, how did it work out? Please share your opinions and experiences. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome, but please keep them constructive. :)